FINALLY define your voice and learn to STAY IN YOUR LANE
Lifestyle is NOT is Niche!
I clearly remember being at a conference, trying to explain my blog to a brand and she said: “ Lifestyle is not a niche. It’s too broad, you’ve got to be more specific.”
It’s easy to fall into the idea that you are a Lifestyle blogger, and that you post lifestyle content on your Instagram.
WHAT IS LIFESTYLE?
It’s a broad category to includes a little of everything. Kind of like a melting pot.
The Instagram algorithm sees lifestyle and is confused….does it group you with the fashion bloggers? The travelers? The moms? The coffee lovers?
You see the problem….
Unless you are well established, and that’s working for you, it’s time to niche down, and focus on one, at the most two, things.
You need to find your Instagram Niche.
Initially had a hard time narrowing down my own account. But, when I looked at it as a whole, there were two themes that were consistent: Motherhood and Photography.
Here is where you can begin:
1. It’s not enough to say you are a travel blogger anymore. You have to niche down, you can be a a family travel blogger, a luxury travel blogger, a Disney travel blogger...get it? You can still stay in your lane..but make your lane more obvious. I
2. The more specific the niche the better. Because larger niches have lots of competition, you need a way to stand out. The more specific you are, the more opportunity there is for you to provide value to other Instagrammers. And then gain popularity that way.
3. Be passionate about whatever you choose. It’s the only way that you will be able to constantly come up with new ideas, new content, and enjoy it.
DEFINE YOUR INSTAGRAM NICHE
Now that you know who your audience is, it’s time to figure out how you are going to get your message across to your audience. How are you going to bring value to your targeted audience? What type of content do they want to see? A good way to do this is to have categories for what you will post. And don’t deviate from those categories. Even for sponsored/brand work!
Pick 3-5 primary categories you will post about ( example me:, motherhood, travel, photography, documenting everyday life, motivation)
Before you post each piece of content think:
• Does this content align with my niche?
• Is it on brand?
• Does it bring value to your followers? ( Remember, this could be anything that entertains , informs, motivates, educates, inspires or tells a story. )